[vlc] Re: Streaming not working for mp4's and mov's via http

James MacLean macleajb at ednet.ns.ca
Wed May 12 19:51:13 CEST 2004

On Tue, 11 May 2004, Laurent Aimar wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2004, James MacLean wrote:
> > I have noticed that mov's and mp4 contained clips do not stream over http
> > unless you are connected to the server with a very fast link. The problem
> > exists back to 0.6.x and exists here today from the latest SVN repository.
> > Some observations:
> > . This happens in both Windows and Linux.
> > . Debug shows that the stream is constantly making seek requests.
> > . Local streaming on a fast link can sometimes freeze too.
> > . Sample at http://www.ednet.ns.ca/~macleajb/MP4/yard2-320x240-200-ac3-128.mp4
> > . Appears to stream fine in mplayer.
> >
> > Any pointers as to where I can look to debug this welcome :),
>  Well, fixing that isn't really difficult: we need to add a cache layer
> between access and demuxer. (at the stream_t layer or even before).
>  But nobody has done it yet, and this part of code will be changed when
> demux2 conversion is finished (ie after 0.7.2 release).

I went looking for the files to see what changes I could do :), but I take
it I am not looking for http.c and demux2.c as they do not have the
stream_t defined anywhere? Mind pointing to some of the files I might
browse just to get a feeling of what it will take?

I also don't notice mplayer doing any caching to start it's playing...
Maybe it does it as it begins, but I am wondering is there any chance one
could modify just the logic of retrieving tracks that would make it more
serial and not jump/seek all around?

I notice if you save as an mp4 file the timeline slider goes back and
forth all over the place as if it too has to seek quite a bit.

JES
James B. MacLean        macleajb at ednet.ns.ca
Department of Education
Nova Scotia, Canada