[vlc] Re: Linux framebuffer problems

Jan Ekholm chakie at infa.abo.fi
Mon May 24 10:26:00 CEST 2004

On Fri, 21 May 2004, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

>Jan Ekholm wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 21 May 2004, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:
>>

>>>Did you go to the menu View|Program ? There is a list of PID that are
>>>found in the stream. Be warned not all can be played, because currently
>>>VLC shows every PID in the stream. So not only Audio and Video, but also
>>>Teletext, network and others.
>>>

>>I have no UI at all, only the textbased weird one. I left out all weird
>>stuff when compiling so all fancy (and unneeded) UI:s probably went MIA.
>>The point is that I can't present an UI to the user, it all has to be done
>>on the command line or a config file. Is the --program option still valid?
>>

>Yes the --program option is still valid.

Ok, I just can't for the love of Darwin get a window to show up with any
DVB content. All looks perfectly ok, no evident errors in the log, the
signal gets locked on, programs probed and found, filters created etc.
Interesting. Maybe it needs a --vout=<something> option? Values like
"x11", "xvideo" don't do anything, nor does giving any arbitrary garbage
as the value trigger an error. So apparently vlc never gets so far as to
start parsing/using the value given with --vout?

The documentation isn't really too clear on this issue, and --help and
--longhelp don't say too much either. The debugging output doesn't say
what it lacks nor what resource/thingie it can't get a hold of. The amount
of options and their organization is a slight mess though, and it's more
or less impossible to know what to actually use. The online documentation
isn't really in sync with the inline help or what actually can be used...
I probably do something stupid again

Well, at least the data seems to be flowing in *some* form, even if it's
not really watchable yet. :)

--
  In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people
   very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.