[vlc] Re: Linux framebuffer problems

Jan Ekholm chakie at infa.abo.fi
Mon May 24 14:27:10 CEST 2004

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Jean-Paul Saman wrote:

>Jan Ekholm wrote:
>> Ok, I just can't for the love of Darwin get a window to show up with any
>> DVB content. All looks perfectly ok, no evident errors in the log, the
>> signal gets locked on, programs probed and found, filters created etc.
>> Interesting. Maybe it needs a --vout=<something> option? Values like
>> "x11", "xvideo" don't do anything, nor does giving any arbitrary garbage
>> as the value trigger an error. So apparently vlc never gets so far as to
>> start parsing/using the value given with --vout?
>>
>> The documentation isn't really too clear on this issue, and --help and
>> --longhelp don't say too much either. The debugging output doesn't say
>> what it lacks nor what resource/thingie it can't get a hold of. The amount
>> of options and their organization is a slight mess though, and it's more
>> or less impossible to know what to actually use. The online documentation
>> isn't really in sync with the inline help or what actually can be used...
>> I probably do something stupid again
>>
>> Well, at least the data seems to be flowing in *some* form, even if it's
>> not really watchable yet. :)
>>

>Could you provide the logfile? It could tell us more what is wrong.

Of course:

	http://www.infa.abo.fi/~chakie/media/vlc.log

The commandline was:

% vlc -vvv \
dvb:frequency=115970000:polarization=V:fec=5:srate=22000000 --vout=xvideo

This time I actually got an screen to show up, but it's from the wrong
mux! It showed a mosaic that the channel "Astra Mosaic" shows, See
http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.html frequency 12552 (tp 108). It should
have tuned to 11597 (tp 26) and shown the first thing from there, most
likely "TVE Internacional Europe". The 12552 frequency is something that
was previously tuned to by dvbstream. If I unload the DVB drivers and
reload them it still tunes to that channel or does nothing at all.

Hm, it seems that those muxes with FEC 3/4 don't tune at all, they get
stuck in the tuning phase with an endless loop of:

[00000336] dvb input debug: check frontend ... has signal
[00000336] dvb input debug: check frontend ... has carrier

This happens for all 3/4 muxes. 5/6 ones get a lock quite fast and show
the static Astra Mosaic channel image. Hm, I just tried a totally
arbitrary frequency, and it still locked on to it, but didn't show an
image though.

Somehow vlc apparently does the tuning wrong and blindly happens to use
the card in whatever state is has been left. I guess that doing a cold
reboot of the system and then trying to use vlc would never show an image,
only after dvbstream has successfully tuned in to something an image is
shown.

Ok, I tuned with dvbstream to a mux (12226, tp 91) that has FEC 3/4, and
dvbstream worked ok. After that I just tested with xawtv to see that the
tuning was ok and it showed me "MTV Pop". Now vlc doesn't seem to be able
to tune anything at all anymore, it just shows this line over and over:

[00000336] dvb input debug: check frontend ... has carrier

See this logfile:

	http://www.infa.abo.fi/~chakie/media/vlc2.log

Using fec=9 (auto) makes no difference. I hope it's possible to make
something out of my ramblings...

--

  That's right," he said. "We're philosophers. We think, therefore we am.
                                             -- Terry Pratchett, Small Gods