[vlc] (New) Stream output: Module "Display" Where is the problem?

Manoel Polo manoel_polo at telefonica.net
Mon May 31 13:33:49 CEST 2004

Hello, friends.

On Sunday, May 30, 2004 7:01 PM, I wrote the following lines:

> When I execute this command,

>    vlc movie.xxx --sout '#display'

> and movie.xxx is a video with a big "bit rate" (like a DVD movie), I get only one frame per second, more or less.

> However, if I execute directly "vlc movie.xxx", I get all the frames.

> I think that both commands should be equivalent, so, where is the problem?

> The following debug messages appear all the time:

> main warning: backward_pts != current_pts (-40000)
> main warning: vout synchro warning: pts != current_date (-40000)
> main warning: vout synchro warning: pts != current_date (-40000)
> main warning: vout synchro warning: pts != current_date (-80000)
> main warning: vout synchro warning: pts != current_date (-40000)
> main warning: vout synchro warning: pts != current_date (-80000)
> main warning: vout synchro warning: pts != current_date (-40000)
> main debug: decoded 9/108 pictures
> main warning: vout synchro warning: pts != current_date (-80000)

I have been doing more tests, and now I think that it *not* depends on the bit rate of the movie, because I have tried it with new movies which had low and medium bit rates, and I got the same results, with similar debug messages.

Now I think it depends on the encoding. It only happens when I play MPEG-1 / MPEG-2 files, or when I play DVDs.

I have tried it on versions 0.7.0, 0.7.1 and 0.7.2. And I always get the same results.

If any of you want to see this problem in action, you can try it with a DVD:

    vlc dvd:/dev/dvd --sout '#display'

Thanks a lot

--
Manoel Polo