[vlc] Re: Encoding software

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Nov 3 10:23:53 CET 2004

On Sun, Oct 31, 2004, Oona Hoffman wrote :
> Hi folks:
>
> I just purchased a LaCie CD/DVD burner/player, for use with my G4 Powerbook
> and blue-and-white G3.
>
> The tech support at LaCie informed me that the G3 has no DVD capacity,
> either burning or playing.
>
> They suggested I contact your organization about getting encoding software
> for this purpose. Do you know what software they are referring to? Is this
> available on your website?

Well, everything depend on what you want to do exactly. VLC has some
encoding capabilities indeed, but these are mainy aimed at streaming
transcoded streams. VLC will not allow you to author a DVD for instance.
You can have a look in the stream output panel of the open dialog to
access transcoding options. This should be described in our doc too (or
will be soon).

Other altneratives on OSX include FFmpegX

--
BigBen