[vlc] Re: copy protection

James Burns jfburns at gmail.com
Wed Nov 3 14:45:10 CET 2004

I'd like to disagree with this response in principle. Surely it would
be possible to write a DRM module which would be able to limit what
other features would be available in VLC. The availability of such
technology would be good for VLC and for open source. If the DRM is a
good and secure algorithm then its release in open source would be a
good thing rather than a bad one. Open source is not equivalent with
not having DRM.
I encourage the original questioner to fund the development of this
functionality and for VLC to accept it into the primary code, subject
to compile time disabling. If the functionality was disabled, that
would mean that DRM protected materials would not be able to be
displayed even if a valid license was present, vs disabling meaning
that DRM file would play regardless of licensing. VLC's copying and
streaming are independent functionality which could be restricted as
well. However, I fully acknowledge that developing a DRM module of
sufficient strength to be open source and incorporated into an open
source project would be quite difficult, but if someone wants to spend
money to develop it, that's good for open source.

-James