[vlc] Re: VLC over the internet...

Jonas Larsen jonas at vrt.dk
Wed Nov 10 00:18:40 CET 2004

I just thought I would let you both know that VLC support in windows for the
PVR250/350 devices have been a bit up and down after the 0.8 release. It
"should" work with the newest versions. But there still isn’t, as far as I
know, any way to set the channel inside vlc, unlike standard tvtuner cards.

If I am wrong by all means let everyone including my self know :)

Best regards
Jonas Larsen
jonas at vrt.dk

Subject: [vlc] Re: VLC over the internet...

Use point-to-point (addressed) streaming types, instead of trying for
multicast, and it's pretty easy.

Simplest to me, because I use it a lot, is mmsh streaming.  The Server, the
one with the PVR/Webcam, needs to have whatever device is used to connect to
the Internet set to pass-through an incoming connection to the Server PC.

In my case, my connection to the 'Net is through an SMC wireless router.  I
open the router configuration app, and turn on Network Address Translation.
The SMC router has a subcontrol called "Virtual Server".  In it I tell the
router to forward incoming connections to the router's IP address (the one
on the ISP side), TCP connections on port 1234, to my actual PC's address,
port 1234.

You need to know what your "uplink" speed is -- how fast you can move data
from the PC towards the Internet.   In my case I have cable -- I get
downlink (to the PC) at over 2 megabits per second, but my uplink is only
good for about 400 kbps.

Take a look at: http://videolan.org/doc/misc/VLC%20Streaming.pdf, a general
how-to-stream, using the graphical user interface.  Changes from it,  in
your case, are:
-Select File -- Open Capture Device instead of File -- Open File(if Windows
-- I don't know about *nix), and pick your capture card.  Doen in the "Video
size" part of the window, set it to, say, 320x240, or one size smaller,
even.  The number that you put in there has to a) Be something that the
capture card outputs, and b) Small enough to get "decent" video given your
limit on total uplink video

In the Stream Output tab, instead of "UDP", on the Server you check "MMSH",
then input 127.0.0.1 in the address space.

Use ASFH as Encapsulation Method.

You must use transcoding.  If you want the user/client to be able to view
using Windows Media Player, select Video CODEC DIV3, and Audio CODEC MP3.
Set the Video bitrate and Audio bitrate so that the sum of them is less than
your total uplink capacity.  You will "lose" some capacity, since the data
gets encapsulated in Ethernet packets.  In my case, I pick bitrates so that
the total is less than 300 kbps, giving me some "margin".

Start the Stream.

The client PC, if using VLC, selects File -- Open Network Stream.  Then go
to the part where it offers http/mmsh/rtp, and input:
mmsh://the_server's_router's_IP_address:1234
For example, if your ISP has assigned the router an IP of 116.10.20.30, the
client would use
Mmsh://116.10.20.30:1234

Since the router has been programmed to forward incoming connections, it
will push the request to the Server, and the server will start delivering
video/audio to the client.

If the client is using Windows Media Player, you use Open URL, then "MMS"
instead of "mmsh" in the client address.  A WMP connection would use:
Mms:116.10.20.30:1234

If you do not care about Windows compatibility, will definitely have VLC as
the client, you could use the VLC default Audio and Video CODECs (mp4v,
mpga), instead of DIV3 and mp3.