[vlc] Problems with videolan 0.8.0

JoPan JoPan at freakmail.de
Wed Nov 10 03:57:50 CET 2004

Dear VideoLan-Team,

first, sorry for my bad English, I'm german and can't speak English very
well.
I've got a little problem since I've installed the newest version 0.8.0 of
VLC. Until last week, I had installed the vlc-0.8.0-test2-win32 - version
and I was able to open all the media files on my harddisk, mpeg, vcd,
svcd... what ever.
But since I've installed the final version 0.8.0 I just don't arrive to open
some of these files with VLC again. In the field, where normally the time is
shown how long the film is running, there's only a negative number, but no
image and no sound and then it stops and that it was. After this happened
with several files, I've tested the files with G-Spot 2.52b01, so I can tell
you, which files or codecs cannot be opened with my VLC-installation. But,
knowing I was able to open all the files with the previous vlc-0.8.0-test2 -
installation, I decided to install both, the test2- and the final-version,
on my computer. And the interessting thing is, that when I run these
programs simultaneously, with the test2-version all files can be opened and
played, but when I try to open with the final version it dosn't work at all.
So I wanted to ask, if there's the posibility that a bug has occured in the
final version or if I have to configure something in the final to make it
run?! A friend of mine told me the same story, she also wasn't able to open
some files!? Is this a linking problem with the codecs or something similar?
And why can some files be played and other with the same codec can't?

I would be glad to get an answer, sorry for the bad explanation and the
circumstances.

The files I couldn't open had the following codecs (so telled G-Spot):

File #1:	Video: MPEG1_Payload	Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2	Source: VCD
Sys Bitrate: 1411 kb/s VBR

File #2:	Video: MPEG1_Payload	Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2	Source: VCD
Sys Bitrate: 985 kb/s VBR

File #3:	Video: MPEG2_Video	Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2	Source: SVCD
Sys Bitrate: 1934 kb/s VBR

File #4:	Video: MPEG1_Payload	Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2	Source: VCD
Sys Bitrate: 1004 kb/s VBR

File #5:	Video: MPEG2_Video	Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2	Source: SVCD
Sys Bitrate: 3118 kb/s VBR

File #6:	Video: MPEG2_Video	Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2	Source: SVCD
Sys Bitrate: 2789 kb/s VBR

In contrast to the files that I cannot open, the following files could be
opened without problems:

File #1:	Video: MPEG2_Video	Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2	Source: SVCD
Sys Bitrate: 3210 kb/s VBR

File #2:	Video: MPEG2_Video	Audio: MPEG-1 Layer 2	Source: SVCD
Sys Bitrate: 2574 kb/s VBR