[vlc] Re: Question About DVD Playback

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Nov 17 00:08:22 CET 2004

On Tue, Nov 16, 2004, Juan Palacios wrote :
> Hello Staff,
>
>      I had a questiona bout latest free version of
> VLC. The downloads.com website says it plays dvd's but
> my question would be does it support all DVD ROM IDE
> Devices? Or do i need to have my original dvd drivers,
> codects, or whater there called. Other software
> automatically install all dvd roms paperwork for the
> pc and allows to watch a dvd movie. Am I making sense
> here? errr. Like WINDVD 4 auto-detects all DVD players
> and allows for playback does your software autodetect
> dvd players or should i stick to windvd. Im not sure
> if your software is a player only or also provides dvd
> autodetection for playback. You know waht i means?
> Hopefully you do. Do i need my dvd's original
> software?
> thanks. Juan.

Well, VLC should work on any dvd drive, without help of any other
software... You just need to select the proper drive letter in the open
disk dialog box. About autostart of DVD playback upon insertion of a
DVD, this should be possible, eventually setting up some scripts, but
I'm not enough of a windows guru to know exactly how...

--
BigBen