[vlc] problem trancoding and streaming a wxma2 audio video stream using vlc

Vincent Régnard lists001 at regnard.org
Wed Nov 17 11:45:55 CET 2004

Hi there,

I am trying to transcode a .avi video using your wonderfull piece of
software. My source file is a divX video and hugly wma2 audio encoded
flux that I can play without trouble using vlc. I tried streaming it
with only half success: the video went rigth but no audio streaming was
performed, I only got the video stream the client side. It is a bit
funny because I thought that once vlc was able to demux , decode and
play both flux there would be no trouble streaming it. So I decided to
transcode and stream but also without success, same result the video
only worked. I finally decided to transcode it first on a single machine
then I would hopefully be able to stream it. but at present I found no
way to transcode both stream into an .avi file. I would like to have a
div3 video and a vorbis audio so I am running vlc as follows:

vlc file.avi --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=1024,scale=1,acodec=vorb,ab=64,channels=2}:s
td{access=file,mux=avi,url="/mnt/scratch0/movies/newfile.avi"}'

checking the newfile.avi tells me there's again only video stream. I
systematically got the following message:

[00000247] main private error: cannot add this stream
[00000274] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output
[mpeg4 @ 0x83c6034]looks like this file was encoded with
(divx4/(old)xvid/opendivx) -> forcing low_delay flag

I can provide larger (-vvv or -vv) logs if usefull, I am using vlc 0.8.0
on a debian-sarge up-to-date.

Could you please help, and tell me if I have any chance to transcode
these flux into a more open open format ? Any comment are welcome.

Furthermore I also have the following notice wich I do not understand:
VLC media player 0.8.0 Janus
libhal.c 696 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceDoesNotExist raised
"Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does not exist"

Does this mean I have to install the hal-dev stuff, I have libhal0
install. Do I need to install something more to get full support of
anything else ? Sound device for instance ?

Thanks all in advance...

Your stuff is really great !

--
Vincent Régnard