[vlc] Re: problem trancoding and streaming a wxma2 audio video stream using vlc

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Nov 17 22:59:39 CET 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004, Vincent Régnard wrote :
> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to transcode a .avi video using your wonderfull piece of
> software. My source file is a divX video and hugly wma2 audio encoded
> flux that I can play without trouble using vlc. I tried streaming it
> with only half success: the video went rigth but no audio streaming was
> performed, I only got the video stream the client side. It is a bit
> funny because I thought that once vlc was able to demux , decode and
> play both flux there would be no trouble streaming it. So I decided to
> transcode and stream but also without success, same result the video
> only worked. I finally decided to transcode it first on a single machine
> then I would hopefully be able to stream it. but at present I found no
> way to transcode both stream into an .avi file. I would like to have a
> div3 video and a vorbis audio so I am running vlc as follows:
>
> vlc file.avi --sout
> '#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=1024,scale=1,acodec=vorb,ab=64,channels=2}:s
> td{access=file,mux=avi,url="/mnt/scratch0/movies/newfile.avi"}'

Well, vorbis is illegal in avi. If you want to use vorbis as an audio
codec, you should use ogg as a muxer. The same way for streaming : the
only way to stream vorbis is over http, using the ogg muxer. If you
want to use the avi muxer or to stream over udp, you'll have to use mp3
an an audio codec. Also keep in mind that the avi muxer, well... would
still need some work to produce compliant files... (in fact, it is
unusable in its present state :(

> checking the newfile.avi tells me there's again only video stream. I
> systematically got the following message:
>
> [00000247] main private error: cannot add this stream
> [00000274] main packetizer error: cannot create packetizer output
> [mpeg4 @ 0x83c6034]looks like this file was encoded with
> (divx4/(old)xvid/opendivx) -> forcing low_delay flag

this is the result of the aboive remak about vorbis

> I can provide larger (-vvv or -vv) logs if usefull, I am using vlc 0.8.0
> on a debian-sarge up-to-date.
>
> Could you please help, and tell me if I have any chance to transcode
> these flux into a more open open format ? Any comment are welcome.
>

> Furthermore I also have the following notice wich I do not understand:
> VLC media player 0.8.0 Janus
> libhal.c 696 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceDoesNotExist raised
> "Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does not exist"

Well, nothiong to worry about here : you shoud install the hal package
to have it disappear. This allows autodetection of some medium upon
insertion, but won't be really useful until VLC's new playlist is out.

--
BigBen