[vlc] VLC dshow issues under 0.7.2 through 0.8.1

steven wagner swagner at ilm.com
Wed Nov 17 23:49:00 CET 2004

Hi VLC users (and devs).  I seem to be having some issues with the dshow
access plugin while streaming from a WinTV PVR 250 on Win2k Professional with
Directx 9.0c.  And before you ask, running Linux on it was my first choice but
I couldn't get a stable MPEG-2 stream locally out of any of the ivtv versions
I tried.

So:

Under the packaged Win32 version of 0.7.2, my dshow source works just fine the
first time I run VLC, whether I'm streaming the card output via UDP/RTP
multicast (the ultimate goal) or displaying it locally.  If I click Stop/Play,
however, I get no audio.

The audio in question should be coming directly out of the PVR card, although
I tried switching the audio source to a SBLive! card and basically had the
same problem.

0.8.1 is a "good news / bad news" situation.  On the one hand, clicking
Stop/Play now seems to work properly, and subsequent playbacks have audio.
However, streaming and local output is filled with garbage.  The audio drops
out frequently (between two and ten times per second) and a coherent picture
doesn't fully form (the upper third of the picture, usually).

0.8.0 seems to combine the worst behavior of both versions.  Ruh roh!

In all cases the video signal is SMPTE color bars and tone - a static test
pattern, in other words - and VLC is run with the following command line:

"C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" dshow:// :dshow-vdev="Hauppauge WinTV
PVR PCI II Capture" :dshow-adev="" :no-dshow-config
:sout=#duplicate{dst=std{access=udp,mux=ts,url=224.16.32.48:1241,sap,sdp=http://well.lucasdigital.com:8080/video}}
--ttl 12 -vvv

(for streaming, obviously)

For local display, the dshow input is chosen with no further options being set.

The only configuration of the Hauppage card being done on each boot is
changing the tuner to the Composite input.

Here's what the logging interface module had to say during a local playback
attempt on 0.8.1:

-- logger module started --
main debug: Selecting program id=0
main debug: looking for packetizer module
main debug: probing 17 candidates
main debug: using packetizer module "packetizer_mpegvideo"
main debug: thread 4940 (decoder) created at priority 0 (src/input/decoder.c:157)
packetizer_mpegvideo debug: Size 720x480 fps=29.970
main debug: looking for packetizer module
main debug: probing 17 candidates
main debug: using packetizer module "mpeg_audio"
main debug: thread 4964 (decoder) created at priority 2 (src/input/decoder.c:157)
mpeg_audio: MPGA channels:2 samplerate:48000 bitrate:384
main debug: adding a new input
stream_out_duplicate debug: duplicated a new stream codec=mpga (es=1 group=0)
main debug: adding a new input
mux_ts debug: adding input codec=mpga pid=68
mux_ts debug: new PCR PID is 68
stream_out_duplicate debug:     - added for output 0
main debug: adding a new input
stream_out_duplicate debug: duplicated a new stream codec=mpgv (es=0 group=0)
main debug: adding a new input
mux_ts debug: adding input codec=mpgv pid=69
mux_ts debug: new PCR PID is 69
stream_out_duplicate debug:     - added for output 0
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode
mux_ts debug: adjusting rate at 20133/227844 (422/149)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode
mux_ts debug: adjusting rate at -81389/200611 (157/333)
mpeg_audio debug: emulated startcode (no startcode on following frame)
mux_ts debug: adjusting rate at 97467/236723 (562/10)

Windows programming isn't exactly my forte, and at this point I'm almost
tempted to try to get the ivtv driver working one more time... but if anyone
has any ideas (or patches?  :D ), please let me know.

Thanks!