[vlc] Re: vlc 0.8.1 doesn't do XV on VIA CLE266 boxes

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer bero at arklinux.org
Thu Nov 18 15:58:51 CET 2004

On Thursday 18 November 2004 12:08, Bernhard Rosenkraenzer wrote:
> vlc --intf dummy -vvv --vout xv video.avi
> results in:
> X Error of failed request:  BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
>   Major opcode of failed request:  143 (XVideo)
>   Minor opcode of failed request:  17 ()
>   Serial number of failed request:  56

Adding some debug info shows:
The error is generated by the XvShmCreateImage() call in CreateShmImage(). It
seems to crash reproducably on the second frame being put into
XvShmCreateImage().

I don't know anything about Xv internals, but this might indicate a race
condition somewhere (Can you write to the Xv buffer while it's still
displaying a different image?).

I've come up with a fairly evil patch that works around the problem (attached)
-- maybe this can give someone who knows Xv/Xlib a hint what's going on?

LLaP
bero