[vlc] Re: Amiga PPC version

Sigmund Augdal sigmunau at stud.ntnu.no
Wed Nov 24 15:52:46 CET 2004

On Mon, Nov 22, 2004 at 11:12:11PM +0000, Darren Griffiths wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying to get some interest in the amiga community for a vlc port.
> Before you think "wasn't that an old eighties computer?" you may or may not
> know that in the recent years the OS and the hardware have been updated. At
> the moment the OS is a pre-release (but very usable and stable) and the
> second phase of the hardware is a micro itx form PPC motherboard (but very
> expensive). See the links below for more info.
>
> http://www.intuitionbase.com  a good overview of both the amiga OS and
> hardware
> http://www.amigaworld.net   the amiga community site where i am trying to
> get others interested in vlc
>

> Could you tell me in fairly simple terms what would be needed for vldeolan
> to be ported to a G3 or G4 amigaone motherboard running Amiga OS4. I know
> it is a difficult question, it's about an OS and hardware you probably know
> next to nothing about but i hope with this information i could get some
> amiga developers interested in doing it. And then maybe you could add
> another OS to your list.
What is needed is a proper build environment. This usually mean gcc,
autoconf and automake. Then you need to implement audio and video output
modules that interface with your OSes audio and video api. then you probably
need to port the thread handeling functions in the vlc core to your os.
After that there is probably just a few functions here and there that differ
from os to os that needs to be changed, and a gui that needs to be
implemented just for the niceness.

Vlc allready run fine on macosx and linux ppc, so the hardware should not be
a problem. It even has a few altivec optimizations.

Sigmund