[vlc] Re: Streaming

Rémi Denis-Courmont Remi.Denis-Courmont at via.ecp.fr
Thu Nov 25 22:55:53 CET 2004

 Hello,

Le Jeudi 25 Novembre 2004 17:49, Randall, Timothy a écrit :
>   I recently became aware of the videolan media player and have found
> it very useful. I would like to use it in an environment for students
> and do not really want them to have access to the streaming server
> capabilities.

> Is there a version available that is just the media player
> (specifically dvds)

There is a pre-build-time option to disable streaming support
(./configure --disable-sout), but it is mainly aimed at light
architectures, where the VLC must be kept relatively light.

In fact, it is possible to compile without streaming output on any
architecture, particularly on Windows and Mac OS X, but it has to be
done manually. We don't provide such percompiled binary versions.

I understand recompiling the VLC media player might not be an option, as
it is a lengthy and complex task. As an alternative, you may consider
removing the VLC media player's streaming modules. They can be found in
the "plugins" subdirectory of directory where VLC is installed. Simply
remove all files that begin with "libaccess_output_" and
"libstream_out_". The streaming features will still appear in the
menus, but they won't be usable anymore.

Sincerely,

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Student-engineer at the Ecole Centrale Paris