[vlc] Re: Need help: Buffer size

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 30 13:33:38 CET 2004

VLC buffers are called caches.  Initialization values are stored in the file
"vlcrc".

The VLC FAQ tells where vlcrc is located, on different operating systems.
Do a search for "caching" within the file, you'll get multiple hits.  To
change a value from its default state, delete the comment character (#), and
type in the new value that you wish to use.

For example:
Changing the line  "#file-caching=300" to read "file-caching=60" would make
the file input cache 60 milliseconds.

The file vlcrc doesn't get written until the first time you have changed a
setting from its default state, I believe, though could be wrong.  If you
are using the wxwindows graphical interface, open settings -- preferences,
select General -- Interface, check the "Show advanced options" box, then
press Save.  This is a simple change, and will write the vlcrc file when you
Save it.