[vlc] Re: optimum bitrate for streaming Mpeg2-ts

Peter Maersk-Moller peter at maersk-moller.net
Fri Oct 22 15:17:02 CEST 2004

Hi

Jeroen Heijhoff wrote:
> Hello,
> I'd like to know if there is a optimum bitrate for streaming MPEG2-ts
> streams.
> I want to go streams MPEG2-ps to MPEG2-ts and I just want to know if
> streaming
> 5Mbps streams instead of (for instance) 4Mbps really does add something
> to quality etc.

The short and correct answer is : "It depends".

It depends highly on the material you stream and (assuming you mean video)
the geometry. If you use a lower bandwidth, then you need to use a lower
geometry (pixel real-estate of the frame to be encoded) to avoid visible
macro blocks. And the other hand, a lower geomtry means a less detailed
end result. 4Mbps is to little for low quality (eg. sports) recordings
at 720x576 at 25fps to avoid visible macro blocks. On the other hand, if
you convert 720x576 (12/11 par = 768x576) to 352x576 (24/11 par) and encode
it at 4Mbps and then after decoding displays it as 768x576, you might
just barely avoid macro blocks, but on the other hand, a recording of a
grass field will look fuzzy/muddy. I'd say

   5Mbps encoded at 480x576 is ok
   6Mbps encoded at 544x576 is ok
   9Mbps encoded at 720x576 is ok

but 'is ok' is a loose term.