[vlc] Re: Mpeg2 file plays in QT & MPlayer but not VLC?

Matthew Neilson matt at gneilson.plus.com
Sat Oct 23 12:07:43 CEST 2004

On 23 Oct 2004, at 10:56, Benjamin PRACHT wrote:
> Well, the timestamps in your stream seems to be quite broken. This
> would
> explain why mplayer plays them whithout any problem : it ignores this
> date information and make video syncronisation on the audio stream.
> This
> behaviour allows to play such streams, but also has some drawbacks,
> especially in the case of streaming.
>
> --
> BigBen

So is there any way to fix the timestamps without re-encoding (perhaps
some hidden preference in VLC?), or am I forever stuck with mplayer
playback for this particular file? Now that you mention it, the video
does lag behind the audio (but only very slightly) when playing in
mplayer, so my claim of "flawless" playback may be slightly exaggerated
- what I should have said is that the audio and video are perfectly
decoded, although not perfectly in sync.

Thanks for the response,

-Matt