[vlc] Mac OS X + USB-Audio Support: BUG

Dan Shin dan at danshin.org
Fri Oct 22 20:57:02 CEST 2004

Mac OS X
Aluminum Powerbook G4 + USB-audio 6-ch speaker set
VLC 0.7.2, AND 0.8.0

The "Audio MIDI Setup" Utility in Mac OS X, recognizes my USB-audio device
as a valid 6ch 5.1 Surround system. I can even do a speaker test in the
"Configure Speakers" window, and the connection and location of channel to
speaker is verified as correct.

BUT, when I select, Audio >> Audio Device >> 2: USB Audio (6 channel PCM),
it sends some sort of 6-ch audio signal into my USB-audio device, but the
configuration is off. The center channel sound only comes from the left
speaker, and the sound overall is balanced heavily to the left.

If I select, "Audio filter for trivial channel mixing" in the Preferences
under "Channel Mixing", for some reason the balance issue is corrected, but
the center channel still comes out of the left-side only.

I've tried to reconfigure the settings using "Audio MIDI Setup" Utility in
Mac OS X, but VLC seems to bypass these settings entirely, since they have
NO impact on the sound, EVEN if I rearrange the channel-speaker assignments
into crazy patterns.

Somehow, VLC is not properly "talking" with the "Audio MIDI Setup" utility.
According to the "Audio MIDI Setup" utility, I have a perfectly recognized
and tested 6-ch USB-audio speaker configuration. BUT, the VLC, while
recognizing it has 6-channels at its disposal, doesn't properly pass the
audio through to them. The center channel comes out left.

Any ideas?