[vlc] Re: optimum bitrate for streaming Mpeg2-ts

Jean-Paul Saman jean-paul.saman at planet.nl
Mon Oct 25 23:10:19 CEST 2004

Chhaya, Harshal wrote:

>>A general bitrate of about 3.5MBps / 4MBps (like in DVB
>>streams) can easily go upto 8 MBps temporarily when using VBR
>>(Variable Bitrate encoding). Which is general more used then
>>CBR (Constant Bitrate encoding).
>>

>I have seen the same behaviour when streaming a DVD. Is it
>possible to transcode a DVD into a CBR MPEG-2? I tried the
>most simple way of writing the stream to file and it resulted
>in an MPEG-2 file whose rate ranged from ~6 Mbps to ~12 Mbps.

Forcefully making a CBR stream from the file, by inserting so called
NULL TS-Packets. The file will have the bitrate as its largest peak:
- A DVD bitrate that goes upto 6 Mpbs will have a 6 Mbps CBR.
- A DVD bitrate that goes upto 12 Mbps will have a 12 Mbps CBR.

--

Many greetings,
     Jean-Paul Saman

           VLC iPAQ maintainer (http://www.videolan.org)
          RedHat Certified Engineer (RHCE: 807202745005548)