[vlc] Re: Feedback for VLC 0.8.0 test 2 on OSX

Derk-Jan Hartman hartman at videolan.org
Tue Oct 26 20:30:00 CEST 2004

On 24 okt 2004, at 22:45, Bob Cannard wrote:
> Finally got around to trying this one out; here are my observations.
>
> First, it looks like a great improvement over test 1. Output to a
> second display now works, whereas it didn't work at all before.
> This is one of VLC's most important features for me. Thank you!
>
> Problem: the "Video Device" submenu was disabled throughout
> and nothing I tried would enable it. This generally isn't an
> issue for me as I use the Preferences to select a screen
> before running the video. Still, it's troubling to see this
> occasionally useful feature not working.

this is under investigation

> DVD subtitles appear improved over 0.7.2; they are now opaque (at
> last!), which means they are now usable. However, they're not
> perfect. Although they appeared to be rendered correctly on
> "Brigadoon" volume 6, they were rendered in the wrong colours
> on "Urusei Yatsura" TV volume 26 - salmon pink instead of
> yellow, for example, while the highlights on the menu screen
> were saturated red and blue which looked terrible. Although
> icky, this isn't a show stopper as the subtitles are at least
> readable. I'll have to try it on a lot of other DVDs to make
> sure that they're consistently usable.

I have noticed this too. Has anyone seen similar results on Windows ?
cause i'm starting to think this may be an endianess issue.

> The first big problem with DVD playback is that VLC is still
> starting playback at the wrong place. On "Brigadoon" it went
> straight into playback on the first episode, skipping the
> intros, FBI warnings, and menu screens entirely. On "Urusei
> Yatsura" it skipped the licence screen and flying logos
> (maybe that should be a feature, not a bug!) and went
> straight into the main menu.

DVD menu's are really hard to work with. Basically if we don't have a
DVD with an issue it's almost impossible to fix it.
The first issue is a bug.
The second issue is a feature and can be disabled in the dvdnav
preferences.

> The second problem was that when I re-inserted the "Urusei
> Yatsura" disc for a second playback, VLC displayed nothing
> for several seconds (although sound was coming out) and
> then crashed. The crash report is at the end of this email.

This is a crash in the OpenGL module. Since there are numerous problems
with this module it will be disabled in the final 0.8.0 release (the
new optimized quartz output is almost as fast).

> There is a single pixel green frame around the video when
> played back in full screen mode. This is present on DVDs
> and AVIs alike, regardless of which screen is being used.

Also an issue with the OpenGL rendering.

> It seems to be impossible to change the size of soft
> subtitles on .ogm files. I tried setting Font Size in the
> Preferences:Modules:Text Renderer:Freetype panel but it
> made no difference. Is there an option somewhere that I
> haven't found, or is it simply not working? The subtitles
> on the .ogm I used were rendered so large that they were
> falling off the sides of the screen.

This should be much improved in the 0.8.0 final. You can also nicely
adapt this in the subtitles options dialog when you open a ogm trough
the "Open File" dialog.

> Overall, I'm encouraged. 0.8.0 looks like it's already
> usable for presentation of AVIs, which is my primary
> use. The rest of it appears to be improving. Thanks
> for the good work, gentlefolks.

---
Universiteit Twente
Derk-Jan Hartman (d.hartman at student.utwente dot nl)