[vlc] Re: Using VLC to trancode media for cellphones.

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Thu Oct 28 15:07:22 CEST 2004

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004, Anders Nilsson wrote :
> Sigmund,
>
> I'm trying to use the built in player that comes with the motorola A925
> phone, and there is no information about version aso.
>
> I know it supports .3gp files and .mp4 files but I don't know what level of
> mpeg-4 or how it has to be muxed.

I only have little knowledge of the 3gp norm, bu I think it is stored in
a "mp4" (the same Apple uses) container when stored as file. I think
RTP/RTSP is used for streaming. VLC should support RTP/RTSP streaming.
However, I don't think this has already been tested with a phone. As
RTSP is kinda under normalized, it is possible some coding will be
required for a proper support. Another thing is that I'm not sure VLC
can send AMR over RTP. AAC should be all right.

VLC-0.8.0 should be able to transcode/rescale/lower the framerate of the
stream in real time. transcoding to MAR is not suppoted. MPEG4 and AAC
are.

--
BigBen