[vlc] Re: quick question

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Thu Oct 28 15:16:07 CEST 2004

On Wed, Oct 27, 2004, raffaele compagnoni wrote :
> i think vlc is a wholesome piece fo software:
> i use it almost exclusively to play dvds, so i would like to ask you
> this:
> having a 600mhz g3 ibook, playback is a tad choppy; in your faq you say
> that depends on the processor power, so that's ok...
> my question is, should i expect improvements on this matter as new
> versions come out (i use 0.7.2 currently) or is it a dead end road?
> thanks for your time and this great app
> raffaele compagnoni

Well, as time passes, VLC becomes more and more featureful and
complicated piece of software. The drawback of this is that it tends
to become slower... Some efforts are made to limit this, and some
optimizations of the code are certainly likely to be done here and
there, particularly before 1.0.0... However, don't expect any huge
progress in 0.8.0.

People have reported that the good old 0.4.6 gave better results on slow
machines. Of course, you'll loose many features by using it (dvd menus,
hotkeys, streaming capabilities, etc...), but if you're looking for
basic, fast dvd playback, this could help...

--
BigBen