[vlc] Re: VLC and Kasenna

Dennis van Amerongen Dennis.vanAmerongen at nob.nl
Wed Sep 1 15:40:32 CEST 2004

Hi Deon,

Yes we have succesfull importing of of about 100 TS streams/assets
on a Kasenna Mediabase server all day long :) The MPEG2's we use are
made with Mobius MPEG2 hardware encoders.

We had the exact same Kasenna errors you mention with MPEG2's produced
with an older encoder SDK/driver where the transport PES size setting
used in the encoder wasn't the optimum of 2024.

A transport PES size of 2024 is a multiple of 184 (188 - 4 header)
this reduces/eliminates Zero Length Adaption Fields in the stream.

Zero Length Adaptation Fields seem to break many parser/demultiplexer
implementations (Stradis analyser, Kasenna Mediabase, older Kraetel set
top boxes etc.) despite the fact that this is legal MPEG!

So basically Kasenna has problems calculating the proper bitrate with
Zero length adaption fields in the stream and mis-interprets the stream
as being <64kbit and refuses to import. (It also can't calculate properly
if the file to be imported is too small, let's say a few seconds in
length and then it also gives the same error).

The optimized transport PES size also majorly improved streaming to all
sorts of streaming clients (VLC, set top boxes etc.) from our platform.

So I suggest you take a look at the PES size that is used in the encoded
files or perhaps the files you use are too small...

P.S. we even manage to encode/stream live MPEG2 and MPEG4 (x264) with VLC to
the Kasenna server, and stream/cast this live (simulated or true multicast)
using the Kasenna server and it's playable from VLC as well (and playing
on-demand MPEG2 files with VLC from Kasenna server is still experimental).

Hope this helps..

Dennis