[vlc] vlc vs. vls

Benjamin Molina benmomo at doctor.upv.es
Mon Sep 6 09:48:49 CEST 2004

Hello,

I've been using vls and vlc for about a year in video streaming
applications.
I know vls has been left appart for the rich and full of features vlc.
However, vls is a small lightweight server whose encoding delay is very
small compared to vlc :
- vls delay is  practically unnoticeable
- vlc delay is over a second
Is it possible to reduce this delay in vlc ?
Is it possible to reduce vlc size to a more lightweight server ?
Compiling vlc with the minimal requirements/libraries the size is much
greater compared to vls compilation.
I've been trying to understand the source code, but I don't know which
parts add significant delay; besides, I find the documentation a bit
hard for understanding how vlc/vls is developed.

Thanks in advance,

Benjamin