[vlc] Re: VLC Problem

Matthew Neilson matt at gneilson.plus.com
Sat Sep 11 00:13:23 CEST 2004

Hey Deon,

This isn't a problem with VLC, it's a hardware problem (or, rather, a
firmware problem). If you flash your superdrive with region-free
firmware, you will be able to watch DVDs of any region using VLC (but
not Apple DVD Player). The firmware you are looking for is available
(along with an extensive FAQ) from:

http://superdrive.cynikal.net/

You'll want to download the updater which "Flashes UJ-815 -> UJ-815
X0CB" - at least, that's what I used on my 1GHz Titanium Powerbook. You
*could* use the D0CB firmware instead (which allows for 2x DVD-R
burning speeds and support for DVD-RW media as well as being
region-free), I suppose, but I can't vouch for it since I haven't used
it myself.

Like I said, I flashed my 1GHz TiBook with the X0CB firmware almost a
year ago, and it's been working flawlessly - any DVD, any region. :)

-Matt