[vlc] Re: synching streams

Benjamin PRACHT bigben+spam at videolan.org
Sun Sep 12 13:00:49 CEST 2004

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004, Sebastian Heuer wrote :
> Hi all,
>
> I have problems synching the separated audio and video stream of a video
> file... this is what I do:
>
> I let vlc split a .wmv file into an audio and a video stream and send
> them to a client on two different ports. The file gets transcoded into
> div3 / mp3 before streaming. Here's my command:
>
> vlc /var/media/streams/alpha.wmv --sout
> '#transcode{acodec=mp3,ab=128,vcodec=DIV3,vb=1024}:es{dst-audio=192.168.66.2:3321,mux-audio=es,access-audio=udp,dst-video=192.168.66.2:3322,mux-video=ts,access-video=udp}'

Achieving proper syncronisation this way seems quite impossible : even
if vlc would send both stream syncronized, the receiving player would
lack the proper information to play them at the right time.

What you seem to need is rtp : both es are sent on different udp ports,
but a timestamp is added in each audio/video packet, to allow playback
at the appropriate time.

--
BigBen