[vlc] Re: Using h/w support for MPEG decoding

Chhaya, Harshal hchhaya at ti.com
Fri Sep 17 20:27:57 CEST 2004

I asked:

and you said:
> Well, nobody has written any module to use such devices yet (and we
> won't, as we don't own any of these devices). Moreover,
> depending on how these devices work, it isn't sure that they will fit
> well with the way VLC is working.

Ben,

Thanks for this answer. I have been trying to find more information and
found that some video cards support DxVA (DirectX Video Acceleration)
that can help in video decoding. From what I have read, this is a
pretty standard interface (i.e. it is not specific to any device)
and supported by multiple cards. And it helps in DVD playback too.

If I have a video card that supports this, can VLC use this
functionality?

Thanks,
Harshal