[vlc] Re: Linux Distro

George Bray listoid1 at linkalarm.com
Sun Apr 3 04:11:14 CEST 2005

Ubuntu, definitely.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/

I flailed about trying many distros just to get something that could
find and install VLC, and all the deps. I couldn't believe the barriers
I encountered with major distros. RPM hell, X not working, buggy system
GUIs. I had almost given up on getting "what the developers use", a
linux based VLC.

Ubuntu not only recognised my hardware correctly (so at the end of the
install you've actually got a graphical desktop), but also ended up
configured for online repositories of software. And Ubuntu is based on
debian, what I understand the VLC developers use.

It'll take you about 30 minutes to get VLC linux running.  Do this:

Install the "hoary" version of ubuntu.
In the Synaptic package manager, add the "universe" repository and
refresh the list.
Search synaptic for vlc, tick vxvlc and hit apply.

The final version of hoary is destined to be released on April 6, but
even if you install today it's very easy to update you whole system
later.

George