[vlc] Re: Crash on 3 different systems: Logitech's fault, now how to stream a RAW webcam feed?

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Wed Apr 6 16:56:58 CEST 2005

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005, Philip Mucci wrote :

> We have a local wireless lan, with pretty good bandwidth. The camera is
> a USB-1 camera with a 640x480 sensor...which means the best we can do is
> 15 frames per second. Since we are displaying the blackboard as well as
> the teacher, we want the highest quality video possible. We can eat all
> of the LAN bandwidth if necessary. And the load on the CPU should be as
> little as possible because we'll be lucky if we get Pentium III's out in
> the bush.
>
> Can someone recommend the best way to stream 640x480 video from a web
> cam over UDP or HTTP? Is it possible without transcoding?
> Selecting RAW and no transcoding initiates a connection, but nothing
> displays. Messages on the client just say "garbage at input". If I need
> transcoding, what combo should give me the highest quality, lowest CPU
> requirement (with highest network bw ok)?

You need to transcode the video : You cannot stream raw video (and,
btw, your bandwith wouldn't be sufficient anyway). Provided your
requirements, MPEG1 (with a 1-3 Mbit/s bandwidth) would certainly be a
good choice here. You can use UDP or http as a transport (depending on
the fact you want push or pull streaming). You can set the
--sout-transcode-fps 15 option to save some CPU power and some bandwidth
if your input is 15 fps.

--
Benjamin Pracht