[vlc] Re: VLC with AXIS 241Q server and MPEG4?

Marcel Ruff mr at marcelruff.info
Tue Apr 12 07:50:55 CEST 2005

Sigmund Augdal wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 07:39:51PM +0200, Marcel Ruff wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>has anybody successfully used VLC with AXIS
>>241Q in RTP/UPD multicast mode and MPEG4?
>
> I have unsuccessfully tried to view streams from one axis(I belive) camera.
> This was however set up for sending through http or similar.

I'll report back my results, i think the AXIS video server
is using mpeg4ip ...

>>I want to use 4 video sources (AXIS) connected over
>>an IGMP capable 1GB switch with 9 sinks (video clients).
>>Is the RTP multicast approach the right thing to try?
>
> If the camera provide standard rtp multicast, and has a .sdp file for it,
> vlc should be able to play that just fine. This setup should be good enough
> for your needs then. Before spending too much time coding though, you should
> test in a standalone vlc instance. (if you haven't bought the camera yet you
> should proably wait for someone else to answer whether it is possible).
>
>>I have an existing Motif / gtk X11 GUI (C and C++ on Linux)
>>and want to embed vlc into it.
>>Is there an example how to do this?
>
> The mozilla plugin in vlc's sources is an excellent example of this.
>

>>How can i merge the two main loops?
>
> VLC uses threads, so I don't think that is necessary.
>

>>Any hint if it is possible and were to take care
>>are welcome.
>
> It should be possible, but the integration part will need some coding. Note
> that VLC is gpl, and if you use vlc inside your application, this
> application must be gpl or compatible as well.

The GPL license issue is another problem for me.
(Note: I respect and honour all open source developers for their
beautiful piece of work.)

Is mozilla getting GPL software when the vlc plugin is loaded,
if yes i think nobody may use the plugin as nobody can change
anothers license during the plugin is loaded?

Is the adobe pdf plugin getting GPL software when the vls plugin is loaded
additionally?

Do you know any other open source video player which
is cabapable doing what i need with a more free license
like LGPL (for example could mpeg4ip do it which is under Mozilla license)?

thanks
Marcel

--
http://www.xmlBlaster.org