[vlc] Re: Debug error messages

Paul Rae PRae at aminocom.com
Thu Apr 14 15:19:54 CEST 2005

thoughts anyone ....?

-----Original Message-----
From: vlc-bounce at videolan.org [mailto:vlc-bounce at videolan.org]On Behalf
Of Paul Rae
Sent: 13 April 2005 14:17
To: vlc at videolan.org
Subject: [vlc] Debug error messages

I'm trying to debug a couple of streams a customer has sent us and was wondering if you can cofirm what some of your debug messages mean:

Error 1:
main warning: backward_pts != current_pts (-40000)
main debug: stream periodicity changed from P[5] to P[3]
main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (62870)
main warning: buffer is 60704 late, triggering upsampling
main warning: PTS is out of range (-7266), dropping buffer
main warning: PTS is out of range (-30044), dropping buffer
main warning: output date isn't PTS date, requesting resampling (42453)
main warning: buffer is 60685 late, triggering upsampling

Now I'm assuming this refering to the PTS time-stamps jumping backwards in time occasionally. Likely causes of this being   packets delivered out of order, or possibly dropping some packets

Error 2:
main warning: late picture skipped (173512)
main warning: late picture skipped (133512)
main warning: late picture skipped (92089)
main warning: late picture skipped (52089)

Again im assuming this is indicating late delivery of packets on the network

Error 3:
ts warning: discontinuity received 0xb instead of 0x2
ts warning: discontinuity received 0xf instead of 0x2
ts warning: discontinuity received 0xd instead of 0x7
main warning: computed PTS is out of range (8157771), clearing out
main warning: timing screwed, stopping resampling

Can you confirm what the error indicates.

Error 4:
main warning: PTS is out of range (8222423), dropping buffer
main warning: output PTS is out of range (8197813), clearing out
main warning: PTS is out of range (7919589), dropping buffer
main warning: PTS is out of range (7895589), dropping buffer
main warning: PTS is out of range (7871589), dropping buffer

Again im assuming this is indicating late delivery of packets on the network which is causing PTS to be out of sync

Error 5:
main warning: dts != current_pts (-243823)

Can you confirm what the error indicates.

Error 6:
main debug: audio output is starving (46998), playing silence

Assuming that audio delivery is late and are playing silence to fill gap.

Error 7:
main warning: dts != current_pts (40234)
main warning: timing screwed, stopping resampling
main warning: buffer is 84465 late, triggering upsampling
main warning: dts != current_pts (30955)
main warning: dts != current_pts (27078)
main warning: audio drift is too big (128383), dropping buffer
main warning: dts != current_pts (19911)
main warning: audio drift is too big (120327), dropping buffer

Again audio buffer underflowing?

Error 8:
main debug: stream periodicity changed from B[1] to B[2]
main debug: stream periodicity changed from P[5] to P[3]
main debug: stream periodicity changed from P[6] to P[3]
main debug: stream periodicity changed from P[3] to P[4]
main debug: stream periodicity changed from P[4] to P[3]
main debug: stream periodicity changed from P[3] to P[4]

Can you confirm what this error indicates.

Thanks
Paul