[vlc] Re: Problem with Debian vlc /wxlvc

Robin Cosby robin at cosby.demon.co.uk
Sat Apr 16 17:20:05 CEST 2005

Christophe Mutricy wrote:

>On Fri, Apr 15, 05 at 15:14 +0100, Robin Cosby wrote:
>

>>Sigmund Augdal wrote:
>>

>>>Either uninstall the nivida-driver, or remove all vlc plugins that have
>>>"gl" in
>>>their name.
>>>

>>Following your advice, I removed the plugins: libopengl_plugin.so,
>>libglx_plugin.so and libugly_resampler_plugin.so.  VLC is now running..
>>

>>There's just an initial message that "Service "org.freedesktop.Hal" does
>>not exist".
>>

>That's normal. No worry
>

>>The only shortcoming is that there are small intermittent breaks in the
>>sound.  Is there anything that can be done about this?
>>

>I believe you could have kept ugly_resampler and that's maybe the cause
>of your sound break.

Hello Christophe,

Very many thanks for your rapid response to my query!

As you kindly suggested, I replaced the ugly_resampler plugin, but
regrettably this hasn't resulted in any improvement in sound quality.

A more extended session with vlc also reveals that the picture is
somewhat jerky.

I don't experience these symptoms with other players that I've tried
(e.g. Xine), which would suggest that they are probably not related to
my hardware.

Any ideas?

Renewed thanks,.

Robin