[vlc] frame freeze or show errors?

Philippe De Neve Philippe.deneve at intec.ugent.be
Wed Apr 20 16:53:02 CEST 2005

Hi,

I did next experiment:

Stream a wm9 sequence  from windows media server (mms) to VLC with packet
loss: No blockyness only frame freeze (I get a lot of PTS warnings.)

Stream a DivX sequence from VLM (rtsp) to VLC with packet loss: Blockyness
no frame freeze (errors are shown)

Now  my question is:
Who determines what happens when packets are lost?

I thought the player decided whether it displays errors or whether it drops
erroneous frames. But clearly this is not the case.  Could you tell if it is
codec, streamer or access protocol dependend. I do not think it depends on
the access protocol cause:

Streaming a wm9 sequence from windows media server (rtsp) to windows media
player : no blockyness, only frame freeze.

Streaming a wm9 sequence from windows media server (mms) to windows media
player : no blockyness, only frame freeze.

any information is welcome,

regards, Philippe