[vlc] Re: vlc options on a windows box

CUTMAN ~CW~ cutmancw at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 1 15:24:28 CEST 2005

ok, I do apologize about that.. I'm really not up on the streaming
situation, but thought I could reveal some help there.

The best thing I can think to help you is to get the options from the
commandline help.. ala':
vlc --help
then you can dig deeper by getting a list of the modules:
vlc --list
and you could get the help on a specific module:
vlc --module stream_out_XXX
where XXX is one of the specific names of a module.. there are prolly 10 or
so for stream_out, but also there's at least another 3 or 4 for stream
related modules and parameters. :)

I'd save these on file too, for a handy reference.  It seems like the design
of VLC is such that the --help output is a huge necessity(like most any *nix
style program).

And noting all the various documention on all the options for this situation
you can get a better handle of what parameters belong to what module, etc.
-what catagorically belongs together.  And then trying to interpret how the
commandline should be designed will be much easier.

And also, there is some info on the vlc::wiki site here:
http://wiki.videolan.org/index.php/Main_Page#VideoLAN_Streaming_solution
..and don't forget the forums for streaming:
http://forum.videolan.org/viewforum.php?f=4&sid=73cb70051d6591ee5e8e5962abdb4388
..and the streaming docs:
http://videolan.org/doc/
http://videolan.org./doc/streaming-howto/en/streaming-howto-en.html

I'm just putting this out there since I don't know how to exactly give you
an answer, :/ and I'm hoping something will be more useful for you. :)

Anyhow, here is some more detail I do know:
vlc --sout-display
(will give you the local display.. default is disabled)
vlc --sout-all
(will give you the same as --sout-audio and --sout-video and more)

You should be able to use this(port 1234, and a local video window):
vlc mediafile.ext --sout
'#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=1024,scale=1}:duplicate{dst=display,dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,url=192.168.1.101:1234},dst=std{access=http,mux=ts,url=192.168.1.102:1234}}'

-streaming to 2 nearby boxes..

You *MAY* even want to look into the VLM file scenerios..

HTH,
zcot