[vlc] Re: "J-type picture isnt supported ' while playing asf

Benjamin Pracht bigben+spam at videolan.org
Mon Aug 15 17:05:46 CEST 2005

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005, tan tank wrote :
> Hi ,
> I have config vlc-0.8.2 with "./configure
> --prefix=/vlc --disable-wxwindows --disable-mad
> --with-livedotcom-tree=/home/tq/live/live
> --with-ffmpeg-tree=/home/tq/vlc/ffmpeg
> --disable-skins2" ,and then successfully compiled and
> installed vlc.But when I play the asf file in my
> pc,the displaying effect is poor and it frequently
> prompts "[wmv2 @ 0x837a25c]J-type picture isnt
> supported" in the terminal.
> Who can help to solve the problem?Thank you !

Well, this is related to the fact WMV2 is a proprietary Microsoft
codec. FFMPEG guys made quite a good job in reverse ingeneering it,
but couldn't reconstruct the whole specs. J-frames are part of the non
reverse ingeneered stuff. There is no real fix for that (and this is the
reason why proprietary codecs are evil). The only solution if you are
using an intel compatible CPU would be to use the binary loader that has
been added in trunk, and install MS proprietary codecs.

--
BigBen