[vlc] Transcode Mpeg2 to Mpeg4 ?

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Mon Aug 22 16:24:20 CEST 2005

I'm trying to use VLC to transcode MPEG2 files, captured from my PVR-350
card using IVTV drivers to MPEG4 files in order to compress and lower my
disk usage.

I use the following command (linux 0.8.2) :

vlc file:somefile.mpg \
     '#transcode{vcodec=mp4v,vb=2048,acodec=mpga,ab=192}: \
                  standard{access=file,mux=ps,url="output.mpg"}'

When I do so, I get output.mpg, which is smaller.  Playing output.mpg
with VLC results in both video and audio, however, the video and audio are
not in sync.  The audio lags the video.  VLC reports output.mpg to be a
valid MPEG4 file.

I tried doing something similiar using the Windows GUI (0.8.2).  In this
case, I get output.mpg which has 3 programs.  Attempting to play this
output.mpg (from windows) results in audio but no video.

Can anyone see what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Jim