[vlc] HDTV Streaming ?

Jim Duda jim at duda.tzo.com
Wed Aug 24 14:46:02 CEST 2005

I'm currenlty using the videolan project for streaming in my house.  I
stream standard definition TV from a central linux server to all the
computers in my house using VLS from a PVR-350 card in the central server.
 All the remote computers use VLC to view the stream.

I realize that I can use VLC to stream as well, however, for streaming
from the PVR-350 card, VLS seems to work very well and uses very little
CPU bandwidth.  It's really cool and I love how it all works.

I'm now getting ready to prepare for HDTV.  I'm looking at purchasing either
a pcHDTV card or a FusionHDTV card.  I would like to continue with using
the HDTV card in the central server, and streaming HD to the VLC clients.

I've played with some sample HD clips I found on the internet.  I wasn't
able to play these clips with VLC for some reason.  I was able to play
them with either mplayer or xine, however, each consumed 100% of the 2.4G
P4 it was running on.

I'm worried that I'm not going to be able to play HD streams on a 2.4G P4
with VLC.  I realize that I can transcode the HD stream from MPEG2 to
MPEG4, however then I burden the server as well.

Can anyone tell me if I'm crazy to even try this?

I want to stream HDTV from a linux server with a 2.8G P4 and view the
stream on client machines using VLC on a 2.4G P4.

Can anyone point me to some sample HDTV clips I can download for testing
with streaming and viewing with VLC?

I'm running VLC version 0.8.2.

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Jim