[vlc] Re: FW: RTSP with Digest authentication (MD5-sess algorithm)

Greg J. Ogonowski greg at orban.com
Wed Dec 7 21:02:14 CET 2005

The Microsoft Windows Media Server RTSP implementation is not RFC compliant.

Are you trying to set up a stream to Microsoft
Windows Media Server, and play it with Microsoft
Windows Media Player?  AFAIK, this can only be
done using the Microsoft Encoder SDK which uses
the proprietary Microsoft ASF protocol,
controlled by Microsoft proprietary RTSP.

Please correct me if I am incorrect.

-greg.

At 09:12 2005-12-07, noam wrote:
>Hi All.
>
>I'm working on an integration of the Live555
>package with a media-player, and got problems concerning authentication:
>
>I try to stream from a windows media server a
>content which is configured to demand a Digest
>Authentication, and in the Describe – Response
>dialog, i noticed that the MD5-sess algorithm is used.
>
>As far as I can tell, the Live555 implements the
>Digest Authentication with MD5 algorithm.
>

>1.      does anybody know what is the difference
>and changes concerning the move from MD5 to MD5-sess ?
>2.      has anyway succeeded in receiving a
>stream (wm9 in my case) from windows media
>server using the Live555 via RTSP with Digest Authentication ?
>3.      how about the other methods of
>authentication: Basic, Negotiate, NTLM – which is supported ?
>4.      can anyone refer me to an
>explanation/documentation/implementation about
>the "RTSP+Digest Authentication+MD5-sess" issue ?
>

>thanks.
>
>Noam Oren.

Greg J. Ogonowski
VP Product Development