[vlc] VLC on Zaurus SL6000

Mark Davis maadavis at nyx.net
Tue Dec 13 00:55:01 CET 2005

Anyone able to get VLC to work on the Sharp Zaurus SL6000 handheld computer?

When I install the files from the links on the VLC pages and run it, the
sound is fine, but the video is goofed up (looks like it shrinks each line
and concatenates 4 lines on to one line of the screen/frame buffer, then
skips 3 lines, then does the same for the next 4 lines, etc).  I can provide
sample screen shots if anyone has some ideas or wants to see the result in
more detail.

Would this sort of issue be in VLC itself, or in libsdl?  Or somewhere else?

This is the ouput I get when I run VLC on various mpeg1 or 2 files with the
screen in portrait (480 x 640) mode:

VideoLAN Client 0.5.3 Natalya
remote control interface initialized, `h' for help
[00000121] main input: playlist item `mpeg1test.mpeg'
Display size = 480x640
[00000121] main input: EOF reached
[00000121] access_file input: closing `/://mpeg1test.mpeg'

And here is what I get if I try to run it with the screen rotated to
landscape (640 x 480) mode (doesn't play the video at all, as you can
probably guess from the output):

VideoLAN Client 0.5.3 Natalya
remote control interface initialized, `h' for help
[00000121] main input: playlist item `mpeg1test.mpeg'
QLinuxFbScreen::connect() disp spec Transformed:Rot0:Vga:0 != server disp
spec Transformed:Rot270:Vga:0
Transformed driver cannot connect
Aborted

I have tried specifying transformations and cropping and everything I can
think of with no better results.

The versions of the pieces from the VLC page:
  http://www.videolan.org/vlc/download-zaurus.html

  zaurus-vlc_0.5.3_arm.ipk
  zaurus-libsdl_1.2.5_arm.ipk
  libffmpeg_0.4.6_20030304_arm.ipk
  librt_2.1.3_arm.ipk

I have made some preliminary attempts to compile the latest on the Zaurus
but have not yet managed to suceed (errors about the fact that I don't have
the avcodec.h and related files).

Any insights appreciated.