[vlc] Re: 2 questions : playlist and osd

Sigmund Augdal Helberg dnumgis at videolan.org
Thu Dec 15 10:44:26 CET 2005

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 00:09 +0100, Michele wrote:
> Hi all,
> this is my first email
> I'm evaluating all player for linux
> I saw a lot of web pages about vlc but I have 2 question:
>
> 1) which is the command line option for playlist  vlc ?
> something like "vlc -playlist playlist.txt"
"vlc playlist.m3u"

The following formats are allowed: .m3u, .pls, .b4s and to some
extent .asx

> if yes which playlist format  is supported ? txt ?
> something like ?
>

> for txt i mean something like :
>
> playlist.txt
> ----
> video1.mpg
> video2.mpg
> video3.mpg
This would be a valid m3u files, but it would need the .m3u extention
for vlc to recognize it.

> 2) last question
> I would like to understand tha capabilities of osd (on screen display)
> option
Vlc has a OSD subsystem that is used for a number of features including
visual feedback for hotkeys(volume pause etc), subtitling, a OSD menu
module and for special "subpicture filters".

> Is possible to play video e show information over the video (at the
> bottom of video for example?)
This can be done with the subpicture filters. The relevant filters are:
logo, marq, time and rss.

Logo display a png file in the osd at some location. Marq display a
fixed string and time display a string with a running clock in it. The
rss module scrolls info from rss feeds over the screen. To use them
select "vlc --sub-filter logo" etc.
> Where can I find information and example about vlc & osd ?
for each filter module you can run
vlc -p logo
possibly combined with --advanced or --help-verbose.

Sigmund