[vlc] How RTP timestamps are used by VLC

Dennis Darcy & Kristy Suters denniswd at exemail.com.au
Tue Feb 1 11:10:11 CET 2005

How does VLC use rtp timestamps to present the mpeg-2 ts data to be decoded?

What I've notice is that when the rtp timestamp is set continuously to zero,
vlc is happy.
But when rtp timestamps contain valid timing information based on a 32-bit
90kHz counter, vlc is not happy.
Also I tried setting the upper 16-bits of the rtp timestamp to zero, vlc was
also happy with this.

I also used Ethereal to verify that the rtp packet format was correct and to
check the difference of two packets was correct,
hence the rtp timestamp difference was 49 (49 * 1/90k = 540us), for a
transport stream @ ~19Mbps a rtp packet was rx every 540us .

I'm using vlc 0.8.1 on windows 2000.

I would be grateful for any insight on how VLC uses RTP timestamps before
the a/v decoder.

Dennis