[vlc] Re: vlc stupid question

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 1 01:32:51 CET 2005

Good question, pretty common.

Check the new VLC Streaming guide, available on the documentation page of
VLC.

Basically, going over the Internet you need to use point-to-point
connections (there is a thing called multicast, but that is not available to
many people).

At your side, do you have a router or some similar device that sits between
you and the Internet?  If it does, you want to go into your router
configuration software and turn on Network Address Translation (NAT), so
that an incoming connection request from your friend reaches the router's
Internet-side IP address, and the router forwards the connection to your own
PC.

For example, in my case I just like to stream video, no audio, from a web
camera.  I go into my router's Web browser configuration utility, into the
Advanced section, and select NAT.  I add an entry to NAT, telling the router
to forward any incoming TCP connection on port 1234 to my_PC_IP_address port
1234.

Now, launch VLC on the PC, tell it to set up an mmsh stream.  Give it
127.0.0.1 as the address, port 1234.  Set the Encapsulation method to ASF.
Use Transcoding, set the Video codec to DIV3.  Make sure that the video
bitrate is small enough so that the video will make it over your ISP
connection; in my case, I have a cable connection, 2 Mbps down, but only 384
kbps up, so I need to make sure that the total of video bitrate and audio
(if I used it) is less than 384K.

An example, that I use with Windows, is:
vlc dshow:// :dshow-vdev="CompUSA PC Camera" :dshow-adev="none"
:no-dshow-config :dshow-size="320x240"
:sout=#transcode{vcodec=DIV3,vb=128,scale=1}:duplicate{dst=std{access=mmsh,m
ux=asfh,url=:1234}} --sout-transcode-fps=5.0

--connection with my compusa camera
-no audio
-dshow-size = something supported by my Web camera
-DIV3 video CODEC, with a video bitrate of 128 kbps (approximately)
-make it available via mmsh
-url=:1234 is equivalent to saying 127.0.0.1:1234
-sout-transcode-fps=5 means only try to output 5 frames per second.  This is
not strictly needed, especially for "only" 320x240 video, but is handy if
you have a higher-resolution source camera (640x480)

My friend would then connect to me using:

vlc mmsh://router_Web_IP_address:1234
Or, in WMP do a File -- Open URL and type in
mms://router_Web_IP_address:1234
(WMP uses "mms" for this connection, while vlc uses "mmsh")

  _____