[vlc] FireWire Interface Problem?

Jason Simms jsimms at utk.edu
Fri Feb 4 17:15:57 CET 2005

Hello,

Today I was trying to stream video from several different FireWire
cameras (Sony and Canon models) over UDP transcoded to various formats
(mp2, mp4, mjpeg, mpeg) to another machine.  No matter which camera I
tried, I always had very strange behavior.  For instance, I would the
receiving end would see nothing but several colors.  Or, the screen
would be entirely gray.  Most strange, sometimes the video would feed,
but the receiving end would see a split-screen (the bottom of the video
would be on the top and vice-versa).  In all cases, the video was
unwatchable and full of artifacts.  The audio was either inaudible or
accompanied by a massive delay and a high-pitch constant static.  I
repeated the experiment on another machine with exactly the same
results.  Both machines are running Windows XP and VLC 0.8.1.

However, when I tried the *exact* same settings using an inexpensive
Logitech USB 1.1 webcam, everything worked great.  Are there known
problems with using FireWire cameras for this purpose with VLC?  Thanks!

All the best,
Jason Simms