[vlc] Re: [vlc-devel] The ActiveX control/plugin for IE. Requests/comments/bugs?

Jonas Larsen jonas at vrt.dk
Tue Feb 8 01:45:19 CET 2005

> Hi Jonas,
Hi Aaron
> I am not a windows expert so where and how should I install the axvlc.dll?
>
> -Aaron

Well for starters im not any sort of active X expert either, i didnt code
this thing either. I tested it a little bit though, to try it out, u simply
copy the dll file into ur windows\ directory, then u run the .reg file to
import the settings into ur registry. Then u make sure the activeX control
knows where the vlc plugins are: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\VideoLAN\VLC]
InstallDir="path\\dir\\"

So if u put the extracted nightly in c:\vlc, the installdir parameter should
point to that. IF u have installed vlc before with an .exe installed (0.8.1)
just copy the nightly build files intot he dir overwriting and u should be
fine)

Once that is done you can open the supplied test.html and u get a form where
u can enter an MRL string, for starters u can try to enter something like
C:\my_test_file.avi

And it should start playing whne u hit enter.

If this do not work for you
Let me know or come by #videolan on freenode irc, and we can try ot help you
out

Best regards Jonas Larsen