[vlc] Re: VLC MPEG2 streaming reception

Robert.Smith at ses-astra.com Robert.Smith at ses-astra.com
Mon Feb 14 17:02:08 CET 2005

>AFAIk, at least the 1st problem was fixed recently.
>Try with one of the nightly builds (http://www.videolan.org/~videolan).

Indeed, using today's build of VLC, the command vlc -vvv
udp:@228.96.0.1:30000 works, ie I can receive the stream. However, I still
have video corruption.

>If the video corruption problem persists, you can dump an extract of the
>stream with "vlc -vv udp/dump://@228.96.0.1:30000
>--demuxdump-file=yourdump" and upload it to
>ftp://streams.videolan.org/incoming so we can have a look.

I have uploaded a file called "axis-stream.dmp". Note that I am now sending
the stream on port 1234 (instead of 30000) which saves me a little typing.

When trying to receive the stream using an sdp file, I do not see any video
and the following appears in the log:
--
ps warning: this does not look like an MPEG PS stream,
continuing anyway

I then attempted to use VLC to send out the stream received as an RTP
stream on a different multicast address (228.96.0.10:1236) and receive the
new stream with VLC. I had the same result, ie "ps warning: garbage at
input". It would seem that VLC is trying to interpret the elementary stream
as a program stream.

The command used to create the new stream is:
vlc -vvv --extraintf logger udp:@228.96.0.1 --sout
#rtp{dst=228.96.0.10,port=1234,sdp=file://boggle.sdp}

The SDP file looks like this:
-- boggle.sdp
v=0 o=- 264675881460 1 IN IP4 127.0.0.1
s=NONE t=0 0
a=tool:vlc 0.8.2-svn-20050214
c=IN IP4 228.96.0.10/0
m=video 1236 RTP/AVP 32
a=rtpmap:32 MPV/90000
-- end boggle.sdp

The command used to receive the stream is:
vlc -vvv --extraintf logger boggle.sdp

The log file on the receiver looks like this:
--log --
-- logger module started --
main debug: CPU has capabilities 486 586 MMX MMXEXT
FPU
main debug: looking for memcpy module
main debug: probing 3 candidates
main debug: using memcpy module "memcpymmxext"
main debug: creating view 1
main debug: creating view 2
main debug: creating view 3
main debug: waiting for thread completion
main debug: thread 3116 (playlist) created at priority
0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:149)
main debug: waiting for thread completion
main debug: thread 3132 (preparser) created at
priority 0 (src/playlist/playlist.c:171)
main debug: looking for interface module
main debug: probing 1 candidate
logger: VLC media player - version 0.8.2-svn-20050214
Janus - (c) 1996-2005 VideoLAN
logger:
Warning: if you can't access the GUI anymore, open a
dos command box, go to the directory where you
installed VLC and run "vlc -I wxwin"

logger: Using the logger interface module...
logger warning: no log filename provided, using
`vlc-log.txt'
logger debug: opening logfile `vlc-log.txt'
main debug: using interface module "logger"
main debug: interface initialized
main debug: thread 3160 (interface) created at
priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:210)
main debug: looking for interface module
main debug: probing 1 candidate
main debug: using interface module "hotkeys"
main debug: interface initialized
main debug: thread 3184 (interface) created at
priority 0 (src/interface/interface.c:210)
main debug: adding playlist item `boggle.sdp' (
boggle.sdp )
main debug: looking for interface module
main debug: probing 3 candidates
main debug: using interface module "wxwindows"
main debug: interface initialized
main debug: thread 3204 (manager) created at priority
0 (src/interface/interface.c:195)
wxwindows debug: accelerator table loaded
main debug: beginning processing of request, 5361 us
main debug: processing request
main debug: next item found in 161 us
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: request processed after 6164 us
main debug: waiting for thread completion
main debug: `boggle.sdp' gives access `' demux `' path
`boggle.sdp'
main debug: demux2_New: access='' demux=''
path='boggle.sdp'
main debug: looking for access_demux module
main debug: probing 1 candidate
main debug: thread 3288 (input) created at priority 1
(src/input/input.c:230)
main debug: access2_New: access='' path='boggle.sdp'
main debug: looking for access2 module
main debug: probing 4 candidates
vcd debug: trying .cue file: boggle.cue
vcd warning: could not open boggle.sdp
access_file debug: opening file `boggle.sdp'
main debug: using access2 module "access_file"
main debug: pre buffering
main debug: received first data for our buffer
main debug: demux2_New: access='' demux=''
path='boggle.sdp'
main debug: looking for demux2 module
main debug: probing 34 candidates
mp4 warning: MP4 plugin discarded (not a valid file)
avi debug: cannot peek()
asf warning: ASF plugin discarded (not a valid file)
flac warning: flac module discarded (no startcode)
aac warning: AAC module discarded
main debug: looking for id3 module
main debug: probing 2 candidates
id3tag debug: checking for ID3 tag
main debug: using id3 module "id3tag"
main debug: unlocking module "id3tag"
mpgv warning: ES module discarded (no startcode)
main debug: using demux2 module "sap"
access_file warning: unimplemented query in control
main debug: `boggle.sdp' sucessfully opened
main debug: adding playlist item `NONE
' ( rtp://@228.96.0.10:1236 )
main debug: EOF reached
wxwindows debug: accelerator table loaded
main debug: closing input
main debug: unlocking module "sap"
main debug: unlocking module "access_file"
main debug: thread 3288 joined (src/input/input.c:386)
main debug: next item found in 7 us
main debug: creating new input thread
main debug: waiting for thread completion
main debug: `rtp://@228.96.0.10:1236' gives access
`rtp' demux `' path `@228.96.0.10:1236'
main debug: demux2_New: access='rtp' demux=''
path='@228.96.0.10:1236'
main debug: looking for access_demux module
main debug: probing 0 candidates
main debug: thread 3288 (input) created at priority 1
(src/input/input.c:230)
main debug: deleting playlist item `boggle.sdp'
main warning: no access_demux module matched "rtp"
main debug: access2_New: access='rtp'
path='@228.96.0.10:1236'
main debug: looking for access2 module
main debug: probing 5 candidates
access_udp debug: opening server=:0
local=228.96.0.10:1236
main debug: net: connecting to ':0 at 228.96.0.10:1236'
main debug: looking for network module
main debug: probing 2 candidates
ipv4 debug: IP_ADD_MEMBERSHIP multicast request
main debug: using network module "ipv4"
main debug: unlocking module "ipv4"
main debug: using access2 module "access_udp"
main debug: pre buffering
access_udp debug: increasing MTU to 3000
main debug: received first data for our buffer
main debug: prebuffering done 20932 bytes in 0s - 175
kbytes/s
main debug: demux2_New: access='rtp' demux=''
path='@228.96.0.10:1236'
main debug: looking for demux2 module
main debug: probing 34 candidates
mp4 warning: MP4 plugin discarded (not a valid file)
avi warning: avi module discarded (invalid header)
asf warning: ASF plugin discarded (not a valid file)
flac warning: flac module discarded (no startcode)
aac warning: AAC module discarded
main debug: looking for id3 module
main debug: probing 2 candidates
id3tag debug: checking for ID3 tag
main debug: using id3 module "id3tag"
main debug: unlocking module "id3tag"
mpgv warning: ES module discarded (no startcode)
sap warning: SDP (UDP) module discarded
livedotcom warning: SDP module discarded
mkv warning: matroska module discarded (invalid header
0x00023100)
ogg warning: ogg module discarded (invalid header)
real warning: Real module discarded
aiff warning: AIFF module discarded
au warning: AU module discarded
mod warning: MOD module discarded
(path=@228.96.0.10:1236)
nsv warning: NSV module discarded
playlist warning: old import module discarded: invalid
file
playlist warning: pls import module discarded
pva warning: PVA module discarded
ts warning: TS module discarded
ffmpeg debug: couldn't guess format
ps warning: this does not look like an MPEG PS stream,
continuing anyway
main debug: using demux2 module "ps"
access_udp warning: unimplemented query in control
main debug: `rtp://@228.96.0.10:1236' sucessfully
opened
ps warning: garbage at input
ps warning: garbage at input
ps warning: garbage at input
-- end log

--
DISCLAIMER:
This e-mail contains proprietary information some or all of which may be