[vlc] Re: about TS, ES and PS

Rémi Denis-Courmont courmisch at via.ecp.fr
Mon Feb 14 20:29:23 CET 2005

Le Lundi 14 Février 2005 20:12, Benjamin Molina a écrit :
> vlc sends TS streams while streaming video. TS is
> container of multiple PS streams, which is a container
> of video+audio. TS is intendend for targeting lossy
> media such as satellite channels. However, in the case
> of a LAN (Ethernet) where losses seems rather
> difficult, would it be better (in terms of efficiency)
> to just send a PS, or even a ES (supposing you only
> want to transmit audio or video).
> Is this possible with videolan or am I not considering
> other factors that make TS ancapsulation more suitable
> than PS, ES even in ethernet or LAN environments?

No, it would be a poor idea because packet loss do happen on UDP/IP over
Ethernet (it's not like ATM). More than that it does happen when you're
routing on more than one Layer-2 segment and one of them happens to be
congested. Moreover, there is the possibility that the source itself is
MPEG2-TS and that it's lossy. Finally, it allows clients to start
receival of the stream at anytime.

Maybe you have a very very reliable connectivity and you have never ever
been faced wuth a TS discontinuity, but it is not the general case, and
the interest of using PS would be minimal and would restrict the
reliability of the system a lot, just to reduce the overhead.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
http://www.simphalempin.com/home/