[vlc] Re: VLC MPEG2 streaming reception

Ross Finlayson finlayson at live.com
Tue Feb 15 01:55:57 CET 2005

>Hmm, this is actually in interesting point. I believe we have always
>assumed type 32 RTP streams to be MPEG2 PS, but i did a little research,
>and as far as i can tell it's actually MPEG1/2 Video ES.

Yes, the (static) RTP payload type 32 denotes MPEG-1 or 2 video elementary
stream data (MIME type: "video/MPV").  See RFC 3551 sections 5.6 and 6.

Furthermore, the LIVE.COM RTP client code (specifically,
"liveMedia/MediaSession.cpp") correctly recognizes payload type 32 as
"video/MPV".  And VLC's "livedotcom.cpp" module (which interfaces between
the LIVE.COM libraries and the rest of VLC) seems to handle the MIME type
"video/MPV" correctly.  So (assuming that VLC uses the "livedotcom" module
to read SDP files), it should be able to play Robert Smith's stream properly.

	Ross Finlayson
	LIVE.COM
	<http://www.live.com/>