[vlc] VLC management of discontinous streams

Aurelio Colosimo - Tv Blob srl aurelio.colosimo at tvblob.com
Tue Feb 22 14:28:59 CET 2005

Dear sirs
I am writing an application which must receive and play a stream and I'm
using vlc in daemon mode (driven via the telnet port) as renderer.

Since the streams can potentially be discontinuous (in terms of
timestamps), I have made some tests on the behaviour of VLC when it
receives a discontinous stream.

Let's call A, B, C and D the boundary timestamps of two contiguos
substreams composing a stream:

Stream 1:     A-----------B
Stream 2:     C-----------D

Resulting stream:   A---------BC--------D

I've found that:
1. If C<B,   the discontinuity is detected immediately, and the stream
is played correctly
2. If C>>B, the discontinuity is detected immediately, and the stream is
played correctly (as case 1.)
3. If  ((C>B) AND (C-B < ~20 secs)), the discontinuity is not detected
immediately, and the image remains freezed for about 20 seconds. It
seems like if VLC accepts streams with such a discontinuity without
recover immediately.

The question is: is there a way (a setting, or a telnet command) to
reduce the maximum accepted interval in a stream, in order to force
timestamp recovery in a short time?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Aurelio Colosimo

--

Aurelio Colosimo
Software Engineer

TVBLOB S.r.l.
Via F.Restelli, 49 201241 Milano, Italia