[vlc] Re: WMV3 Error on VLC

Mark Moriarty mfmbusiness at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 26 21:29:07 CET 2005

Not that I know of, I'm afraid.

MS has kept their wmv3 format closed-source (proprietary).  They are
attempting to get a subset of it defined as an industry standard, and there
is some move going on in the open-source commuity to implement it, but
nothing concrete as of yet.

There is another player which will work with copies of Windows DLLs, but
that doesn't help Mac users -- it only works, as far as I know, on Linux
implementations that are using Intel Pentium (or equivalent AMD) processors.
The PowerPC that the Mac is on has a fundamentally different underlying
architecture, so you cannot just pick up a copy of an Intel binary and use
it.